I have to post this because I am torn in defense of two thoughts. Laugh please ahead of time, because I placed a point to a conversation made about Lowe's, on Lowe's Facebook Review Page. It was my opinion actually, attached to someone else's opinion.
Below is a Fan of Lowe's Facebook, with his opinion about the Lowe's Memorial Day Commercial:
Mikey Hunter " I'm very disappointed in Lowe's. I know that everything that was once a meaningful holiday, is now just a reason to goof off. I know that the season's change and the world moves on, but I find it very disrespectful for Lowe's to spit in the face of Veterans. Memorial Day should be about rememering those that sacrificed the most they could, their life. They gave it to defend their country, to protect their fellow brothers and sisters in uniform, their family, their religious beliefs or the freedom to choose who or how to believe, and their way of life. I'm sure they donate to the military, but for them to air a commercial where a customer says that "Memorial Day is about havin fun" is a direct slap to those that sacrificed their life for this country. I also know that they have the freedom to do so, and I respect that, but doesn't mean that I have to sit quiet about it. I'm sure there are those that may read this and disagree and that is fine. I'm just exercising my right as well. So be safe this weekend and remember the true meaning of this weekend. Thanks to all of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice....their lives.
Here is my reply to his post:
Mikey... I have been hoping to find the commercial online, and cannot. So, I am not 100% clear on the message that was portrayed. I have always believed in Memorial Day as a day to remember those that sacrificed for the freedoms we all enjoy today. I have family that has served, and currently. Memorial Day is special to many people in many ways. I am no way disagreeing with your post. I am also not agreeing with it either, just adding my thoughts to it.
Not to repeat myself, but Memorial Day is a day of remembrance. Just Memorial Day. If the weekend was the time of remembrance, it would not be called Memorial Day nationally, it would be memorial weekend only, or memorial days. Monday is the day of remembrance, when we all officially gather to remember.
Having said that, face the actual fact that "Memorial Weekend" is a Retail focused weekend. It has been since the 1980's, and will continue to be. It is definitely not only Lowe's advertising this, it is EVERY retailer out there. It is nationally a weekend when BILLIONS are spent on celebration, remembrance, graduations, every year (year after year).
Could Lowe's have marketed it in the commercial differently? Sure. I believe it was not the intention. They are a company that will give veterans a discount all year long because of their service, a company that deems it is important due to this. Is Lowe's a company that is heartless on a DAY of remembrance? Certainly not.
Please tell me what you think... I want a few more opinions, because I am sure to get them from Facebook users too. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
Ummmmm.........let's see how do I put this......he has no life if he has to "go off" about Lowe's not "supporting" Memorial Day. Honestly, who would think about this - obviously Mikey. I mean no disrespect for Memorial Day.......but come on.
ReplyDeleteI think your response is great! Good job!