Sunday, December 27, 2009

Define Procrastination....

So yeah, I never thought of myself as a procrastinator. I always thought of myself as a leader, usually completing certain projects quickly, and most of the time before others. I always took pride in this fact, and in my work life, it has gotten me where I am today.

I find myself in a difficult position. When do I chose to finish the kitchen remodel that I started almost 2 years ago??

You would think a person who works around remodeler's, construction trades, and home improvement industrialists, would come up with the ability to complete a project that is completed daily by his customers. This could be a tool in his belt to better assist his customer's, or even to brag if deemed necessary.

Unfortunately, I find myself finding other stuff do in place of completing this. Even at the weekly constant requests from my loving wife, I would rather check Facebook, or assist building spreadsheets for her business (or even typing my thoughts out in an inspirational blog). Obviously I have plenty of other things that I can do in place of this, which are equally important. Such as playing with my kids, or watching movies with my family, or maybe even doing laundry and dishes.

Believe it or not, I really enjoy doing projects like this, and often volunteer my "skills" to the rest of the family to assist them in anything they may need done. I really enjoy the rough part, like tearing walls down, and even rebuilding them. I even enjoy the installation part, like adding in doors, and re-working cabinetry, or vanity's and sinks, tubs and faucets. It is the finishing part that I seem to procrastinate on the most. Like finishing drywall, replacing moulding, or painting. (I hate painting, just thought I would make that part really clear.)

Is this the definition of procrastination? I certainly hope not. I am not going to look into the definition in fear of the answer.

So if you need something done at your house, remember to keep in mind hiring someone else to finish the job, as I have not gained the confidence in my wife, or myself to do this part. :)

1 comment:

  1. You made me chuckle with the "constant requests of my loving wife"!! :-) I sometimes think that due the fact we must be organized and on top of everything at "work", things at home can become "slower" projects, because well, you just need some downtime. :-) I think this is important because if you work, work, work all of the time....and become a perfectionist at home too, it may be too exhausting. Just my thoughts and maybe part of the reason we started painting that room upstairs that is not finished yet - ha. You are great at what you do and I know you will finish the project.

    Oh, and once you finish, you can help us finish our basement!!!

    ReplyDelete