Monday, February 28, 2011

Why Weight??

It has been 4 years since I was in the best shape of my adult life. 4 years. I was working out 5 days a week, eating healthy, and had an overall confident feeling about what I looked like. I was lifting weights, jogging, and emulating one of my friends who I looked to as a fitness expert. My ultimate goal was to keep from being in the state I am today... edge of medical obesity, and in terrible cardiovascular shape.

It was easy then. I was a Zone Manager at my work, and was able to make a repetition of what I did daily at work. I was able to eat 6 times a day, healthy food at that. I was able to plan my "office" breaks where I worked on the computer, and eat carrots (or something like it). I was able to work out on my lunch breaks, which worked out well. I took time, and planned my meals for the following 7 days, and know exactly how much I needed to buy of everything. I had the support of my wife to work out after work if I was not able to on lunch. I was able to get my weight down to 183lbs (losing 40lbs), even with adding some serious muscle to the mix.

And then....

I received a promotion. I went from working decently hard at work, and working out on my lunch break.... to working hard all day long, even through my lunch. I really wanted to keep going on my breaks. It was a GREAT thing to do. I had paid $165 a year to join the Community Center, and this is a total steal! I was looked at differently. One of my Cuban employees even called me "flaquito", which is spanish for really skinny. I had never felt better in my life....

It is amazing that at the same time of me NOT working out anymore, I stopped eating healthy. Most of the time it was not that I was not eating healthy, it was that I was not eating at all. This usually does not work out very well. Not only are you not pulling the nutrients that are necessary, but you are also screwing up your metabolism. I will tell you that the few times I did eat... it was while I worked, and it was fast food.

Then a few months later, I was diagnosed with cancer. WOW! Talk about a real slap in the face. Best shape of my life... really took care of my body... slap in the face. The worst thing, and probably the part that changed my mind on how much I cared about the shape of my body the most, was my second surgery. It was labeled an RPLND, or Retro-Peritoneal Lymph Node Dissection. Basically... They cut me open from Sternum to 2 inches below my belly-button. While doing this, they went around my belly-button, completely destroying my abs on an almost permanent basis.

I know.... I am still alive. For that reason I am 100% cool with it... and blessed. But it does not assist me in thinking that I can get back to the way I was. I mean, my 6-pack (not beer) was awesome! Luckily, it is still there, and will reform, but with an incision right down the middle. I do not consider myself a man that cares about what people think... especially about my pale freckled body. I did increase the personal pride in accomplishment of how in-shape I was. So when I look at it, it does hinder some of my drive to be healthy.

4 years and 6 days from Cancer diagnosis... I started a "healthy eating" plan. Some call it a diet... and I suppose it is in some aspects. The reason I started it was I had to go to the doctor because I had a nasty cold. This cold was also the 3rd I had in 5 weeks. Something just was not right. When I got the to doc, they needed to take my weight and blood pressure. Let me put this into perspective for a sec.

The medical chart of weight-to-height ratio for me is 174-178lbs.
January 1st, 2006 - I weighed 223lbs
July 14th, 2006 - I weighed 183lbs.

My weight as of January 8th, 2011 - 247lbs.

WOW! Basically, I was 70lbs over the charts. This explained why I could not kick the colds... and why I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Holy cow! I had to do something about this. After seeing the doc about my foot also, it takes a minimum of 9 months to heal plantar fasciitis with a combo of stretching, weight loss, and proper shoe inserts. The other issue I have is blood pressure. I have been trending about 150/98. This is too high. i know weight has something to do with it, and I know my cardio has a lot to do with it. My family has a history of high blood pressure, so I need to keep it down. So... Immediately I started changing a few things...

I am tracking my food intake even more than I did when I lost weight the last time. I have this awesome Android app called MyFitnessPal. It gives me the ability to track my caloric intake (as well as other nutrients), my exercise, and a few other tools. All for free. I can even track it online, and it syncs with my phone app. I have started out slow on the eating change, gotta shrink my stomach down to a manageable level. I have started out with no exercise, and eating healthy. With the amount of work I do, I have started out with 1850 calories a day. Once I get down to 215lbs, I am going to start an exercise regiment.

I am also drinking a TON of water. I am drinking around 100-133 ounces a day. Other than water, I drink a cup of coffee in the morning... and a beer or two on the weekend. I have not had anything else since I started. I have cut out candy, high-fat content foods, and anything with cheese. I have not touched chocolate since the start (which is really tough).

As of last Friday, 6 weeks later, I am down to 219lbs. I feel amazing! I felt amazing after a few days of drinking nothing but water. I suggest everyone to do just that. I had so much more energy. I am a few short pounds away from being able to start my workout plan (which will consist of something that will not affect my plantar fasciitis). I am currently looking into the Anytime Fitness that just opened up around the corner from my house, which is incredibly convenient. The only issue I have is the price. The rec center in Athens is $165 a year ($13.75 a month). I think the rate at Anytime fitness is around $40 a month. The nice thing is that I can go at 11pm after work, or 10am before work.

I am totally engaged in heading the fit direction that I am heading. I am competing towards my goal of 200lbs with my wife, who has her own goal. Of course, 200 is my initial goal, and as soon as I hit that, I will be focusing on 185lbs, which will be my final goal (depending on outside influences(foot)).

I am 29, and I am not getting younger. My body has shown me in the last few months that if I do not get healthy, I will continue to have ailments. I want to keep in the shape that I expect my kids to work for. I want to be able to play soccer/football/baseball/karate with Jayden when I am 40. I want to be able to ride my bicycle/cheerlead/play sports with Emmi. (did I say cheerlead?) I want to be a part of their lives, and be able to sustain.

To anyone else reading this, why wait? Why wait until it is too late to engage yourself, when there are so many tools to assist you? I realize how much easier it is to eat fast food. It is quick and convenient. Eating healthy takes planning. I spend $12 for my meals I take to work for 5 days. I used to spend $8 on a Wendy's meal. You do the math. Try MyfitnessPal, (I am shanedo1) and try a healthier lifestyle... it will pay off.

I gotta get off here... forgot to mention of how drinking 100 ounces of water a day causes many trips to the bathroom. :)

1 comment:

  1. On June 6th, I reached my plateau, and had me some chocolate cake. Just an update :)

    ReplyDelete